Nigeria is blessed with some of the best universities in Africa. In this article, we bring to you a list of the top10 Best Universities In Nigeria 2023.
Although the Nigeria Educational system has been plagued by a series of Asuu strikes and bad policies of Government in spite of these, we still have exciting Universities that are capable to wow you.
Searching for a good University to study in Nigeria should not be too much of a problem if you have knowledge of the best Universities in Nigeria in 2023. We will guide you through a list of the top10 best universities in Nigeria that offer the course you wish to study.
Nigeria is a country with a steadily growing economy and population, with the youth population being one of the largest in the world
There are 171 Universities in Nigeria according to the National Universities Commission (NUC):
- 44 Federal Universities
- 48 State Universities
- 79 Private Universities
Based on the ranking released by the Centre for World University Ranking in its 2022 report., the largest public research body, we present to you the top10 Best universities in Nigeria for the year 2023.
>>Read Also: The Full List of Accredited Universities In Nigeria
Here is a List of the Top10 Best Universities In Nigeria 2023
1. University of Ibadan (Ibadan, Oyo State)
The University of Ibadan is First on the List
The University of Ibadan (UI) was Founded in 1932, It is located in Oyo state Nigeria. The University of Ibadan was the first university to be established in Nigeria. First, it was an affiliated college of the University of London, and it was granted full independent status in 1962.
The University of Ibadan began as a small institution with just three departments in Science, Medicine, and the Arts, but with time it expanded to become one of the country’s most prestigious higher education institutions.
Today UI comprises made up of 92 academic departments that are organized into seventeen (17) faculties, including Social Sciences, Agriculture and Forestry, Education, Veterinary Medicine, Technology, Law, Public Health, and Dentistry.
Through its graduate network, the University of Ibadan has contributed to the political, industrial, economic, and cultural development of Nigeria. The history and influence of the University of Ibadan have made it one of the most prestigious universities in Africa.
The University of Ibadan Postgraduate School is the largest in Africa, with its undergraduate and postgraduate student populations split 50/50.
The majority of the students live in university-provided hostels that are equipped with modern facilities that come with gyms, cafes, and common rooms.
The University also runs a number of public facilities, including a media resource center that offers educational workshops, reading services, and consultancies for schools and children’s libraries.
The university is one of the most aspired universities in the country with local applicants from all parts of the country and even international applicants.
Among the university’s alumni are many notable individuals who have contributed significantly to the political, industrial, economic, and cultural development of Nigeria, including a Nobel Laureate in Literature, the writer Wole Soyinka, awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1986,
And Chinua Achebe whose novel Things Fall Apart is the most widely read book in contemporary African literature, eminent mathematicians, scientists, politicians, lawyers, business icons, philosophers, writers, monarchs, countless technocrats, recipients of the Nigerian National order of merit, Fellows of the various learned academies.
Ibadan itself is a major commercial city in southwest Nigeria, located inland about 70 miles from Lagos.
Here are the requirements to gain admission to the University of Ibadan
Below are the general admission requirements for UTME candidates:
- You must possess at least, five (5) Credit grades in five subjects (English and Mathematics inclusive) in your O’level result(s). This could be WAEC/NECO/GEC or any equivalent result.
- You must make UI your first choice of institution during JAMB registration. UI does not consider second-choice candidates when offering admission.
- You must choose the recommended subject combination by the University of Ibadan for your courses in both JAMB UTME and post UTME examinations of the university.
- You are expected to have a UTME examination score of 200 and above to be eligible for the University of Ibadan post UTME examination.
- You are required to purchase the university’s post UTME form, participate in the examination and gain a high score according to your department’s cut-off mark in order to gain admission.
Below are the requirements for direct entry candidates:
- Direct entry candidates must possess at least, five (5) Credit grades in five subjects (English and Mathematics inclusive) in their O’level result(s). This could be WAEC/NECO/GEC or any equivalent result.
- HND Holders must have a minimum of Upper Credit in a relevant Discipline
- OND Holders are expected to have a minimum of Upper Credit in a relevant Discipline
- A-Level Candidates must hold A Level Passes.
- NCE candidates must have a minimum of two passes in a relevant discipline.
2. University of Nigeria (Nsukka, Enugu State)
The University of Nigeria is second on the list
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (commonly known as UNN) was established by Nnamdi Azikiwe in 1955 and formally opened on 7 October 1960. The University of Nigeria Nsukka is the first indigenous university in Nigeria. It is located in Nsukka, Enugu State, in the Eastern region of Nigeria.
Modeled upon the American educational system, UNN is the first self–governing university in Nigeria.
It is the first land-grant university in Africa and one of the five most reputed universities in Nigeria. With over 20,000 students, the University remains one of the few institutions in Africa that offers research and courses in Astronomy at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The university has 15 Faculties and 102 academic departments. The university offers 108 undergraduate programs and 211 postgraduate programs
The population of students at the University of Nigeria Nsukka is over 36,000. It has four campuses:
- -Nsukka; Enugu campus
- (UNEC); University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital
- (UNTH): in Ituku-Ozalla
- (UNAC): the University of Nigeria Aba campus.
The University of Nigeria also has a Business School
The Nsukka campus houses the faculties of agriculture, arts, biological sciences, education, engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, and veterinary medicine.
The former Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology (UNEC), Enugu, comprises the faculties of business administration, environmental studies, law, and medical sciences.
The teaching hospital (UNTH) hosts the faculty of dentistry and health sciences and technology. Finally, the Aba campus (UNAC) is the site of the Institute of Nigerian Languages.
Research activity is undertaken across institutes for African studies, education, developmental studies, postgraduate studies, and herbal medicine and drugs research and development. There are also centers established to look at climate change, space science, and energy research.
The University of Nigeria Nsukka is no doubt one of the best Universities in Nigeria
Here are the requirements to gain admission to the University of Nigeria (Nsukka)
Below are the general admission requirements for UTME candidates:
- Candidates must have at least, 5 (five) Credit grades in five subjects (English and Mathematics inclusive) in their O’level result(s). In this case, the O’level result could be WAEC/NECO/GCE or any other equivalent result.
- Candidates must make the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) their first choice of institution during JAMB registration. UNN does not accept second-choice candidates for admission.
- Candidates must be 16 years of age at the time admission is offered.
- Candidates are required to score at least, 160 in JAMB UTME examination as that will make them eligible to take the UNN post UTME examination.
- Candidates must participate in the UNN post UTME examination and must perform very well in the examination in order to be admitted.
Below are the requirements for direct entry candidates:
- Direct entry candidates who wish to gain admission into the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) must purchase the university’s DE form through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
- Direct entry candidates are also expected to make the University of Nigeria, Nsukka their first choice of institution during registration.
3. University of Lagos (Yaba, Lagos State)
The University of Lagos is the third on the List
The University of Lagos popularly known as UNILAG was founded in 1962. It is one of the first-generation universities in Nigeria and is ranked among the top universities in Nigeria and the world at large.
The University of Lagos has, for over five decades, provided qualitative and research-oriented education to Nigerians and all those who have entered its domain in search of knowledge. It presently has three Campuses in Yaba and Surulere.
Whereas two of its Campuses are located in Yaba (the main campus in Akoka and the recently created campus at the former School of Radiography), its College of Medicine is located in Idi-Araba, Surulere. And all the three campuses are located in the Mainland of Lagos.
Eni Njoku was appointed as the first black vice-chancellor of the university in 1962, and he remained in office till 1965 when he was replaced by Saburi Biobaku. However, due to controversy surrounding his appointment, Saburi was stabbed by Kayode Adams, a student radical who believed Biobaku’s appointment was unfair and ethnically motivated.
From 2017 to date, the vice-chancellor is professor Oluwatoyin Ogundipe
The University of Lagos is inarguably one of the best Universities in Nigeria. It currently has twelve Faculties, namely, Arts, Basic Medical Sciences, Business Administration, Clinical Sciences, Dental Sciences, Education, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Law, Pharmacy, Science, and Social Sciences.
UNILAG, as the university is fondly called, also offers Master’s and Doctorate degrees in most of the aforementioned programs. In addition, it has two Centres, namely, the Centre for Human Rights and the Centre for African Regional Integration and Borderland Studies.
Notable University of Lagos alumni include Nigerian television actor Francis Agu, Kayode Fayemi, (the governor of Ekiti State), Ikedi Ohakim, (the former governor of Imo State), Wale Adenugu, (a prominent publisher and film producer), and Farida Mzamber Waziri, the former executive chairperson of the Nigerian Government’s Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Here are the requirements to gain admission to the University of Lagos
Below are the general admission requirements for UTME candidates:
- You must have reached the age of 16
- You must possess at least, 6 (six) “Cs (Credits)” grades in your O’level result (s). This must include English Language, Mathematics, and four other subjects related to your course of study.
- You are required to have a UTME examination score of 200 or higher
- You must take the UNILAG Post UTME screening examination and must meet the stipulated cutoff marks for your course to gain admission into the university.
- Not more than ONE sitting result is accepted for admission into the University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Also, you must choose the correct subject combination for their courses.
Below are the requirements for Direct Entry candidates:
- Applicants must possess at least five (5) Credits in their O’level result. This must include English Language and Mathematics. However, two sitting result is not allowed.
- Applicants must have also reached the age of 16.
- Applicants are expected to get JAMB Direct Entry form from JAMB to apply.
- Applicants should have any of the following certificates: OND, ND, NCE, IJMB, Cambridge A level, BSc, HND, ICAN
4. Ahmadu Bello University (Zaria, Kaduna State)
Ahmadu Bello University is the fourth on the List
Founded on October 4th, 1962, as the University of Northern Nigeria. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) is West Africa’s largest university with 82 academic departments, 49,954 students, and 500,000 alumni. The University is also identified as a first-class Architecture School and innovator in Agricultural research.
It is named after the Sardauna of Sokoto, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, the first premier of Northern Nigeria. The first vice-chancellor (principal administrator and leader) of the university was British, as were most of the professorial appointments. Only two Nigerians Dr. Iya Abubakar (Mathematics) and Adamu Baikie (Education) — were among the earliest round of faculty appointments.
Ahmed Bello University now specializes in several programs including Sciences, Social sciences, Arts, Environmental Design, and Engineering. The University is ranked as the best for its unmatched expertise in Architecture and research in Agriculture.
Over the course of its history, the University has nurtured two University Colleges- Abdullahi Bayero College (now Bayero University, Kano) and Abubakar Tafawa Balewa College (now Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University of Technology, Bauchi).
It has a large medical program with its own Teaching Hospital recognized as one of the largest training hospitals in Nigeria and Africa.
Some of ABU’s notable alumni include Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido; Pro-Chancellor of Plateau University, Professor Muhammadu Attahiru Jega who was honored at the 2015 NHEF Awards Gala; Former President of Nigeria, Late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, GCFR; Former Executive Director of World Bank, Mansur Mukhtar; and numerous Nigerian State Governors and Federal Ministers.
Here are the requirements to gain admission to Ahmadu Bello University
- Minimum of 5 credits in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE/GCE) Ordinary Level Credits in a maximum of 2 sittings.
- Candidates must have ‘A’ level/IJMB passes in two subjects that are related to their area of study.
- JUPEB/A’ Level passes in Related subjects.
- Direct entry candidates are required to purchase the ABU Direct Entry form through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) And ABU Portal.
- A minimum of Merit Pass in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), and other Advanced Level Certificates.
5. Covenant University (Ota, Ogun State)
Covenant University is the fifth on the List
Covenant University is one of the leading universities in Africa found on a Christian Mission Ethos. It is affiliated with Living Faith Church Worldwide and is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, Association of African Universities, and National Universities Commission Born and driven by a vision to raise a new generation of leaders and to reinstate the dignity of the black race.
The university has four colleges, mostly dedicated to vocational studies: The College of Business and Social Sciences; College of Leadership and Development Studies; College of Engineering, and the College of Science and Technology.
Covenant University has had a rapid rise in reputation in the decade and a half it has been operating. In 2019, Covenant University became the first Nigerian university to be ranked in the top 401-500 category of world universities by Times Higher Education.
The Nigerian Universities Commission named it the best private university in Nigeria in its 2018 rankings and the 6th best university overall.
Covenant University also has a secondary school, Covenant University Secondary School was established on October 14, 2010, to cater for the young population within the university environment.
Here are the requirements to gain admission to Covenant University
- A statutory non-refundable application fee of N7,400
- Statement of purpose
- Letter of Sponsorship which is to be written and signed by Parents
- WAEC or NECO result with credit level passes in five (5) subjects, obtained at not more than two (2) sittings, which must include English Language and Mathematics.
- Candidates must obtain the JAMB forms, choose Covenant University and sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
- In addition, applicants must complete the Covenant University Application Forms, available online.
6. University of Ilorin (Ilorin, Kwara State)
The University of Ilorin is the sixth on the List
The University of Ilorin commonly referred to as the best university in Nigeria is a federal government-owned university located in the capital of Kwara state north-central Nigeria.
The university was established by a decree of the federal military government in August 1975. The University of Ilorin has a very large and diverse student body as well as a staff population, diverse in the sense that students come from different cultural backgrounds, age groups, and religions.
Unilorin was founded with the aim to provide more opportunities for Nigerians who aspired to have a university education and to contribute to the rapidly expanding economy.
The University of Ilorin has over 48,000 undergraduate and over 5,000 postgraduate students studying 90 academic programs across 15 different faculties. Compared to other higher institutions in the country, the university has one of the largest land areas, covering approximately 15,000 hectares of land.
The university admits students from all parts of the country. The institution’s courses cut across master’s and bachelor’s degree programs in areas like law, agriculture, medicine, science, education, arts, management, and other social science courses.
Admission into this university is extremely competitive following its reputation a lot of candidates seeking admission to this university. It is revealed by JAMB to be the most sought-after university in the year 2021.
The university has well laid out infrastructure in terms of, an ultra-modern library, good hostels, good roads, electricity, etc.
Here are the requirements to gain admission to the University of Ilorin
- Candidates must have reached the age of 16
- Candidates must have at least 6 (six) “Cs (Credits)” grades in their O’level result (s)
- Candidates must score at least 180 in JAMB UTME examination
- Candidates must take the post UTME screening examination and must perform very well in the examination (Depending on the course of study)
- Not more than ONE sitting result is accepted for admission into the University of Ilorin (UIL)
- Candidates must also meet the stipulated cutoff marks for their courses to gain admission into the university.
7. Obafemi Awolowo University (Ile-Ife, Osun State)
Obafemi Awolowo University is the seventh on the List
Obafemi Awolowo University is a federal government-owned and operated Nigerian university. It was established in 1962 in the ancient city of Ile-Ife as the University of Ife. In 1987 it was renamed Obafemi Awolowo University in honor of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, one of the university’s founding fathers and eminent lawyer, nationalist, and politician.
Ife-Ife, is an ancient Yoruba city in Osun State, southwestern Nigeria. Ife-Ife is considered a holy city and is thought to be the legendary birthplace of humankind by the Yoruba people. It is thought that the city is named after the god of divination, Ifa. Today Ife-Ife is known around the world for its ancient and naturalistic bronze, stone, and terracotta sculptures, which date back to the 13th century.
Obafemi Awolowo University is one of the top Nigerian universities offering Computer Engineering. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) also offers undergraduate and post-graduate programs in fields of specialization spanning the humanities, arts, natural sciences, social sciences, medical sciences, engineering, and technology.
Committed to the highest level of scientific research, the university has established several research centers, which are fully equipped with the latest technology. These include the Atmospheric Research and Information Analysis Lab and the Drug Research and Production Unit.
The university also has its own teaching hospitals, which are used to carry out medical research by students and staff.
The university is organized into 13 faculties, which offer a range of undergraduate courses. There is also the postgraduate college and the College of Health Sciences. The university has a number of institutes including the Institute of Cultural Studies, the Institute of Agricultural Research and Training, and the Institute of Public Health.
The Student Affairs Division is responsible for enriching the student experience and campus life. The division fosters student growth while offering support and information about programs that will prepare students for a successful future in a diverse and constantly evolving society.
Obafemi Awolowo University has 13 faculties and two colleges]—the Postgraduate College and the College of Health Sciences— which are administered in more than 60 departments.
The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate programs in fields of specialization spanning the humanities, arts, natural sciences, social sciences, medical sciences, engineering, and technology. It was previously associated with Loma Linda University in California, US.
Here are the requirements to gain admission to Obafemi Awolowo University
- Candidates must have at least five credit passes in their O’level results at the first sitting and six credit passes at two sittings.
- All eligible candidates must have scored 200 marks and above in the UTME examination.
- Candidates must meet the required cut-off mark for their respective departments in their Post UTME screening exam.
8. The University of Benin (Benin, Edo State)
The University of Benin is the eighth on the List
The University of Benin is a public research university located in Benin City, Edo State. It was founded in 1970. It was first an Institute of Technology and was accorded the status of a University by National Universities Commission (NUC) on 1st July 1971.
In his Budget Speech in April 1972, the then Military Governor of Mid-Western State, Col. S. O. Ogbemudia formally announced the change of the name of the Institute of Technology to the University of Benin.
On 1st April 1975, the University at the request of the State Government was taken over by the Federal Government and became a Federal University. Today, the University has continued to grow with a number of Faculties, Departments, Institutes, and Units. Following NUC’s directives, the University experimented with the Collegiate System in 1991/92 and 1992/93.
The university has two campuses with fifteen faculties including a central library called the John Harris Library.
UNIBEN has a big teaching hospital known as the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), a hospital with all medical fields and specialties, there are also various units such as SERVICOM, Medical Records, Nurses, and Doctors’ house, laundry services, catering, and lots more.
Here Are The Requirements To Gain Admission To The University Of Benin
- Candidates for undergraduate programs should possess the University matriculation requirement of Five O’ level credit passes including English Language at not more than two sittings in WASC, WAEC SSCE/GCE, NECO, SSCE, or their recognized equivalents.
- First-degree holders seeking admission into undergraduate programs must possess second-class honors (lower division)
- University of Benin Diploma holders seeking admission into Degree programs should have at least a Merit Level Pass.
- Diploma from other recognized Universities or OND from recognized Polytechnics/Colleges of Technology should be at least at the Upper Credit Level Pass.
9. The University of Abuja (Gwagwalada, Abuja)
The University of Abuja is ninth on the List
The University of Abuja is located in Gwagwalada Local Government Area of Abuja and was established in January 1988 (under Decree No. 110 of 1992 as amended). The University of Abuja is a top University in Nigeria that was designed as a dual-mode university with the mandate to run conventional and distance learning programs.
The University took off from a temporary site, made up of three blocks of building meant for a primary school in Gwagwalada, tagged the “mini-campus”. Academic activities started on the mini-campus in 1990 after which the University was allocated an expanse of land covering over 11,800 hectares (29,000 acres) along the Abuja city Airport road for the development of its main campus
The University has two campuses: the Mini Campus located in Gwagwalada Area Council about fifty-four kilometers from the city center, and the Main Campus situated along Abuja-Airport Road, some few kilometers from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport.
Academic work began at the university in 1990 with the matriculation of its pioneer students.
The university offers diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs, and is also a center for Distance Learning School which provides university education to those who cannot acquire such education through the regular university system.
Main Campus is a sight to behold-the hills encircling the campus in a warm embrace, the vast expanse of lush green plants are very pleasing to behold-creating a perfect, warm, and peaceful atmosphere for research, teaching, and learning.
The Main Campus houses the Senate Building, Faculties of Agriculture, Arts, Engineering, Management Sciences, Sciences, Postgraduate School, Centre for Distance Learning and Continuing Education (CDL&CE), the University Printing Press, students’ hostels, Centre for Gender Security Studies and Youth Advancement, among others.
Here Are The Requirements To Gain Admission To The University Of Abuja
- Candidate must possess at least, 5 Credit grades (C) in WASSCE/NABTEB/NECO or any equivalent in five subjects (English and Mathematics inclusive)
- Candidates are expected to make the University of Abuja (UNIABUJA) their first choice of institution
- Candidates are expected to choose the correct JAMB subject combination for their courses to gain admission
- Candidates must score at least, 180 in the JAMB UTME examination to be considered for admission
- UTME candidates must also purchase the university’s post UTME form and meet the cut-off mark for their respective departments.
10. Federal University of Technology (Minna, Niger State)
The Federal University of Technology Minna is Tenth on the list
Founded in 1983, (FUTMINNA) is a Federal Government owned University located in Minna, Nigeria. It specializes in technological education. The university is a designated Centre of Excellence in Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering and has a core competence in the development of vaccines and drugs
The university took over the facilities of the former Government Teachers’ College Bosso, for use on a permanent basis. This site now serves as the Bosso Campus of the university. The main campus which is sited on 10,650 hectares of land is located along the Minna – Kataeregi – Bida Road.
Here Are The Requirements To Gain Admission To The Federal University Of Technology, Minna
- A minimum of 5 credits in the senior secondary certificate examinations (SSCE/GCE) and O’level credits in a maximum of 2 sittings
- Candidates must have reached the age of 16
- Candidates must score at least 170 in the UTME examination
- Candidates must choose FUTMINNA as the first choice institution
- Candidates must participate in the FUTMINNA Post UTME screening exam to be considered for admission